Friday, October 18, 2013

Assignment for the week of October 21st

Thus far, I've been taking care of most of the game mechanics and scripting, along with some animations. I'm not doing much modeling but I plan to model the player's camera eventually.

Last week I started working on the photo storing and reviewing system where the player can snap a picture(really a screen shot of the current in-camera view in blender) and have that saved as a png in their game folder. The png is then dynamically added to a picture frame mesh that has a default 'X' texture. The script essentially searches for all meshes with the X texture and replaces that with the photo's texture. This allows the player to hit a button to bring up their snapped photos. The screen comes up as a scene overlay.

That's all working right now but only for one picture. This coming week I need to edit the script to iterate a variable so that the 1st picture gets applied to the mesh with a '1' in the name, the 2nd to the 2, and the nth to the nth. 

The player can also delete a picture but when they do it leaves an empty mesh frame. I'm thinking about having all the other photos shift left when one is deleted rather than trying to add a new one to that blank spot.  To do this I'd delete the deleted photo's mesh and find all of the meshes with a higher material id and move them left.

If I finish all this I'll continue working on the simple raycast calculations to determine if an object is properly framed. I say simple because I have a complicated way in mind but I'll save that until the game is further along.

No comments:

Post a Comment